Thursday, November 29, 2012

Thanksgiving Sweet Rolls

I'm a bit late posting about my Thanksgiving, but let me tell you, it was awesome! Although I missed my family terribly, I still had a great experience this year. I spent my 5 day break in a high rise condo overlooking downtown Chicago. The view was GORGEOUS!!! Especially at night. I loved it.

This Thanksgiving, I wanted to try cooking some dishes for the dinner. I ended up making some candied yams, a green bean casserole, and some yummy rolls made from scratch.

Cooking in a kitchen you're not familiar with is tricky. It took me forever finding everything I needed for the rolls. The last thing I needed to find was flour. I finally found it in a huge container marked "all purpose flour." I have made these rolls before, so I knew I could do it, but I left my recipe in Utah. After calling my grandma for the recipe, I was ready to get started. I followed the recipe my grandma gave me exactly. By the time my 6 cups of flour had been added, my dough was still pure liquid. That shouldn't have been happening! I called my grandma back and told her what happened. She told me to try a different way. I tried it the other way, but for some reason I just couldn't get the dough right. I was feeling really confused as to why it wasn't working when all of the sudden someone says, "Is that even flour?"

Well... It looked like flour, felt like flour, the container it was in was marked flour. Of course I thought it was flour! That's when I tasted it. Powdered Sugar. I was using POWDERED SUGAR. Duh, Ashley! No wonder the dough was liquid!

Needless to say, after one more try and using actual flour, I got the dough right and my rolls turned out awesome. I was very proud! Also a bit embarrassed, but hey, I eventually got it right.

That's just one of those stories I'll always remember when looking back on my Thanksgivings. One of the best ones yet! Can't wait for years to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment