Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Bawl Baby

Today... I experienced a full blown parent moment. DQ made me so proud... I cried.

I was sitting on the couch talking with my employer when DQ came home from school. She came into the room and immediately asked her mom to sign a paper. She seemed to be really excited about it and started explaining what it was. She said it was a program called "Peer Buddy" where she would stay in from her lunch break and help/hang out with the special needs kids. As soon as she said that, I started bawling. I'm SO proud that she would willingly give up her free time to help kids while being their friend. We all know how important the special needs field is to me, so when she said that, I was so impressed and so proud.

After I was done being a baby, we talked about it and said she's excited to do it because she wants to "follow in my footsteps." She said that she thinks it's going to be fun because she knows she can do it, and since I think it's so much fun, she thinks she will like it too. She managed to make me cry again after that.

This moment made my whole entire day. It may be simple, and some of you may think I'm overreacting, but I don't think I'll ever forget it. You don't find many young people nowadays that are willing to help kids that aren't "normal." I'm so glad she is stepping up, and helping people that need it.

DQ, I'm SO PROUD OF YOU!

1 comment: