Saturday, April 21, 2012

My Time In The 808

I know this post is well overdue, but I'm here to tell you about my glorious days I spent in Hawaii. It. Was. magnificent. Kayaking, hiking, rafting, snorkeling, and lazing about on the beach, I couldn't have asked for a more awesome time.

I fell in LOVE with Kauai! I will tell you the time change was extremely difficult to adjust to. In fact, I never fully did adjust. I would go to bed on Utah time, and wake up Hawaii time. My cousin and I averaged 12 hours of sleep a night! I know what you're thinking, "why spend all your time sleeping when you're in Hawaii?!" Simple, EVERYTHING is closed down by 8:00. Most things closed at 7:00 though. Night life in Kauai is non-existent unless you are 21, and even then, you're outta there by 10:00. So my cousin and I would be in our hotel rooms by 7, relaxing by 8, and asleep before 9:30. Mind you, Hawaii is 4 hours behind Utah, so we were staying up somewhat late on our time.

Something very unique about Kauai... There are chickens EVERYWHERE! They just roam around the whole island. The first morning we were there, it was 3 in the morning and the bloody rooster woke Morgan and I up. Those annoying buggers barely sleep! They were always crowing. Always. There were tons of feral cats too! Every cat I'd see I'd say "I want to take you home with me!" I even named one of them. They're hard to catch though.... Kauai has tons of wild boars too. I hear they're quite mean, but luckily I had no trouble whatsoever with those. I didn't see one the whole time on the island.

The scenery was BREATH TAKING. I've never seen so much green in my life. Everywhere you looked there was green. It was gorgeous. So tropical and different from what I'm used to seeing everyday. It was refreshing to see something new and unique.

The locals there are SO FRIENDLY!!! I fell in love with them! Such nice people! It was sort of a slap in the face so to speak to come back to the mainland. I instantly wanted to go back to Hawaii because of how rude people are here. The different is night and day. Hawaiians are also very proud of their culture and traditions. I respect that very much. I thought it was really cool and interesting to see and hear about. They also have some awesome slang. Let's just say Morgan and I picked up on a few things while we were there!

The weather there was very interesting. It would rain for 5 minutes, then stop instantly. Except for on my birthday when it rained the entire day. (of course!) But hey, I turned 20 on Kauai so I'm not complaining! The temperature was mostly perfect the whole time. To me at least. Poor Morgan froze her buns of most of the time. It averaged about 75 degrees with an occasional 80 degree nice sunny day with no clouds in the sky. I did however, seem to burn on those days. Yes, I put sunscreen on! I was also on the beach for hours at a time every single day, so that might have something to do with it, but hey, I'm again not complaining. I picked up a pretty nice tan.

The beach. Poipu Beach at that. Ohhhhh how I love the beach. Especially sleeping on it. The warm sand and the sound of the waves crashing is hypnotizing. I would have loved to add the birds chirping to that list but the roosters ruined that part of it. ;] Ohhh my goodness I love, love, love Poipu! It's the cutest town ever!! We would spend some time on the south side of the island in Poipu everyday. It's the best part of the island in our opinion.

Although I had to ride on 6 different planes, sleep in uncomfortable airport chairs, and sit through some of THE longest layovers of my life, it was so worth it. I have some awesome lifelong memories of one of the best trips I've ever been on.

I cannot wait to go back!

(Pictures coming soon)

2 comments:

  1. how pathetic that i was freezing in 75 degree weather! :( love this post. made me laugh :)

    ReplyDelete