Saturday, November 19, 2011

A Thanksgiving First

The point of having a blog is to be able to share your thoughts, feelings, and opinions. This following post is about a subject with very strong arguments against it. Seeing as this is MY blog, and I'm sharing MY opinions, please be respectful and keep your negative comments to yourself.

Tonight I had an extremely eye opening experience. I was already open to the subject anyways, but I've gained a whole new respect.

Some people I'm quite close with are openly gay. This doesn't bug me and it never has. They're some of the most amazing people I know, living lives people only dream about living. Every year, they have a Thanksgiving dinner for all their friends and family. I was invited this year and I was truly impressed. As we went around the tables saying what we were all thankful for, I noticed on more than one occasion how many people were saying they were grateful they actually had a place to go for Thanksgiving because their families disowned them, or didn't understand them because of the lifestyle they chose.

As I was watching and listening I couldn't believe how close everyone is to each other. All of those people were one big family. They understood each other, and listened to each other. They've all been through the same thing and they all support one another. I could just feel the love in that room. I was overwhelmed with that sense of closeness.

Not being welcome home for the Holidays must be one of the hardest things. Having your family completely disregard who you are because of what you choose to be is just so sad. I realized what an amazing thing the two people I'm close with were doing. Giving people somewhere to go with people who love them, when they can't go to their own families. I really am just so impressed with it all.

I want to applaud every single person who accepts who they are. Being able to come out and say "I'm different" and being ok with it, takes a lot. No one should have to hide who they are. I'm so glad I got to share that experience with such a loving group of people. I definitely have a new found respect.

1 comment:

  1. Ashley, This is wonderful. Everyone needs someone who will support no matter the life style choice. I think being in Utah people are blind sided with their opinions. I'm glad you shared this!

    ReplyDelete