Saturday, September 10, 2011

Call It A Clan, Call It A Network, Call It A Tribe, Call It A Family. Whatever You Call It, Whoever You Are, You Need One.

I've been the "glue" to a broken family for almost 4 years now. But lately, I don't really know why I've been trying. It's hard when your family goes through HUGE changes ALL the time. In the past 3 years, my extended family has grown by 40+ people. 40 people! I don't even know all my cousins' names! These changes have been really hard on some people, causing them to distance themselves from everyone else. I try to have close relationships with all of my family members, but you always have those ones that don't want anything to do with you.

I've mentioned many a time how important family is to me. NOTHING is more important than family. If one of my relatives needed my help (even one of my cousins I don't know the name of) I would be there in an instant. Family are the people you're supposed to be able to rely on. Family are the ones you're supposed to want to spend time with, no matter how crazy they make you sometimes. Family are supposed to be the ones who you go to when you need love and support. Well lately, I'VE been the one everyone relies on, I'VE been the one FORCING relatives to spend time with each other, I'VE been the one giving the love and support. In return, I get yelled at, fought with, and no respect whatsoever. What kind of family love is that?

What kills me the most, is two of the people who mean so much to me in life, don't get it. They're always annoyed with me, cancelling on me, making other plans with their friends when we haven't seen each other in months, lying to me, and getting mad at me for reasons I find unimaginable.

I don't want to give up trying, but I'm getting nowhere. Should I stop nagging everyone to spend time together? Should I stop caring about what people are up to in life? Should I stop going to every single birthday, baptism, baby blessing, wedding, or simple family barbecue?

The answer is NO. I need to keep nagging, and I need to keep caring. I've got to be not just the "glue," but the "super glue." Family IS important and I never want to lose mine.

Families are supposed to be forever, so I better keep it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment